Retail investors outside the U.S. will be able to download PowerTrade's new app on the Apple iOS store from April 15.
- In a press release, the mobile bitcoin options trading platform said most trading is still done at the institutional level. With the app, retail investors will be able to buy call and put options on bitcoin in just three clicks. It will not be available within the U.S.
- A call option gives the holder the right but not the obligation to buy the underlying asset at a predetermined price on or before a particular date. A put option represents a right to sell.
- In September, PowerTrade raised $4.7 million via token sales in a round led by Pantera Capital and joined by Framework Ventures, CMS Holdings, and QCP Capital among others.
- “Easy to understand options are key to further retail adoption of crypto,” said Joey Krug, co-chief investment officer of Pantera Capital.
- The app “prioritizes user education through design and launches with fee-free trading for all early users,” PowerTrade said.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, institutional digital assets exchange. Bullish group is majority owned by Block.one; both groups have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary, and an editorial committee, chaired by a former editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal, is being formed to support journalistic integrity.