It's all very "Inception"-like. The folks at "Saturday Night Live" answered their own question, "What the hell is an NFT?", well enough to be able to make a non-fungible token out of it.
- A skit in last week's show sought to explain non-fungible tokens, the hottest segment of the cryptocurrency universe (for the moment). It starred SNL regular Kate McKinnon as U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen, featured Pete Davidson portraying the rapper Eminem and was set to his music.
- Now a segment of that sketch is itself an NFT and is being auctioned on the OpenSea marketplace.
- The NFT up for bid captures a snippet at the end of the sketch in which four characters walk out of a classroom single file and then the background morphs into a street with the characters now on a crosswalk. Because there aren't enough layers to this already, the scene channels another work of art, the Beatles' album "Abbey Road."
- Adding further to the Russian nesting doll vibe, last week's skit showed this very segment being minted as an example of how things are turned into NFTs. Now it hass actually happened and it's all very meta.
- Proceeds benefit @stopAAPIHate. Bidding ends just before midnight Monday.
- At press time, bidding was at 8.5 wrapped ether (US$17,618.29).
- Next up will be an NFT of the auction of the NFT of the sketch about NFTs...
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.