Leading cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase plans to establish an outpost in India even as the country's government is preparing legislation that could ban cryptocurrency ownership.
- A blog post published Thursday announced the establishment of "a business presence in India ... housing some IT services, including engineering, software development and customer support."
- As yet, there are no jobs posted in India listed on Coinbase's career page.
- However, the blog stated Coinbase's intention to open an office in Hyderabad "as COVID-related conditions allow."
- This comes despite great uncertainty over the future of cryptocurrency in India, with its government planning to introduce a bill that could see it banned outright.
- Signals are mixed for the time being on the issue because government officials' accounts differ on how far the legislation will go.
- A report Monday claimed the government is considering blocking internet protocol (IP) addresses of companies that trade cryptocurrency.
- Even if owning crypto is banned in the India, however, given the operations Coinbase is planning on locating there (engineering, software development and customer service) it's quite possible these operations would not be affected.
- Coinbase is working to boost its customer service operations in response to increased demand in crypto and delays in response time to client inquiries.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.