Jack Dorsey's First Tweet Sells for $2.9M
The auction for the March 2006 tweet by the Twitter co-founder closed Monday.
Bidding has closed on the auction for the first tweet ever sent by CEO Jack Dorsey, with a winning bid of over $2.9 million.
- The auction for the so-called genesis tweet by the Twitter co-founder in March 2006 closed Monday.
- The winning bidder, Sina Estavi (@sinaEstavi), offered around 1630.6 ETH on March 6, which was not surpassed for the remaining 16 days of the auction.
- Estavi is the CEO of Bridge Oracle, a public oracle system on the Tron network.
- This amount was worth $2.5 million at the time but has increased to over $2.9 million with the appreciation in the price of ether.
- Dorsey had listed the tokenized version of the tweet March 5 on non-fungible token (NFT) platform Valuables, a program for selling authenticated tweets created by startup Cent.
- The winning bidder will receive a digital certificate of the tweet, signed and verified using cryptography by its creator.
- The tweet was minted in December, prompting a bidding war between Estavi and Tron founder Justin Sun.
- The Twitter CEO announced March 9 that proceeds from the auction will be donated to charity.
- Now that the auction is finalized, Dorsey, a bitcoin proponent, converted the proceeds to BTC and sent them to the GiveDirectly Africa Response fund.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.