Major cryptocurrency exchange Kraken is considering a stock market debut in 2022, according to Fox Business reporter Charles Gasparino.
- Gasparino said Tuesday that Kraken executives are mulling either a tie-up with a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC) or a more traditional initial public offering (IPO).
- No major crypto exchange has gone public in the U.S. just yet, but that should soon change as Coinbase is barreling toward a direct listing and eToro announced it's merging with a SPAC Tuesday.
- With no bitcoin ETF in sight and crypto service companies booming, Wall Street investors may be eager to capture whatever slice of exchanges they can to ride the wave of a burgeoning asset class.
- The multi-pronged crypto brokerage, which also holds a national banking charter, is one of crypto space’s biggest unicorns and has reportedly sought a $10 billion valuation in private equity deals.
- Kraken CEO Jesse Powell has previously hinted his interest in going public in 2022, but only at the right price. He said $10 billion is too low. For context, Coinbase, a direct competitor, has an expected valuation of $100 billion and eToro weighs in at $9.6 billion.
- Contacted by CoinDesk, a Kraken spokesperson confirmed that while the exchange might consider a public offering next year, any such offering would happen through a direct listing and not through a SPAC as the company is "too big" for that.
UPDATE (March 16, 19:55 UTC): Adds Kraken comment.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.