Nearly $40B in US Stimulus Checks May Be Spent on Bitcoin and Stocks: Mizuho Survey
The survey by Mizuho Securities estimates that 10% of the $380 billion to be issued as checks could be used to invest.
Nearly $40 billion of the latest round of direct stimulus checks could be spent on bitcoin and stocks, according to a new survey.
- The research by Mizuho Securities estimates that, of the $380 billion total, close to 10% could be used to purchase the two asset types, Yahoo Finance reported Monday.
- Nearly two in five of Americans expecting to receive checks in the coming days anticipated using a portion of them to invest, the company found.
- Bitcoin is expected to account for 60% of the total invested, which could add add as much as 3% to the cryptocurrency's market value, according to Mizuho Securities Managing Director Dan Dolev.
- Dolev cited a number of crypto-adjacent companies that he believes will benefit investors most should they wish to invest in equities: Visa, Mastercard, PayPal and Square.
- The survey polled roughly 235 Americans with less than $150,000 in household income, of which around 200 expected to receive payments from the latest round of stimulus.
- The $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief package recently signed into law by President Joe Biden would see eligible Americans receive checks for $1,400.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.