- In an announcement Thursday, Tether CTO Paolo Ardoino said he believes USDT's expansion to its eighth blockchain will support "a dazzling array of projects" in decentralized finance (DeFi), Web 3.0 and blockchain gaming.
- Tether is already live on seven other blockchains – Algorand, BCH, EOS, Ethereum, Liquid Network, Omni and Tron – with a total market cap of at least $37 billion.
- The stablecoin is linked 1:1 to the price of the U.S. dollar and widely used in cryptocurrency markets as a way to quickly move funds to and from assets and platforms without using traditional finance rails.
- There have been controversies over the assets backing tether, with the issuing firm not providing regular professional audits.
- Solana's "high-speed" blockchain will allow holders of USDT to transmit their tokens quickly and cheaply – "often for less than $0.00001 per transaction," according to the announcement.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.