The Twitter accounts of several prominent figures in the cryptocurrency community were suspended early on Wednesday.
- CoinDesk became aware, at around 4:44 UTC (11:44 p.m. ET), that accounts such as @thecryptodog, @woonomic, @KoroushAK and @100trillionusd had been suspended.
- The accounts are popular within the crypto community, garnering millions of followers for their bitcoin and other crypto-related trading ideas.
- "Twitter suspends accounts which violate the Twitter Rules," was the only reason given initially by the social media giant.
- After the publication of this report, Willy Woo (@woonomic) tweeted that his account had been reinstated after roughly six hours.
- In a message from Twitter included in the tweet, the reasons for the suspension were attributed to automated systems that had flagged his account as spam "by mistake."
- Some of the other suspended accounts were reinstated by 09:54 UTC.
- Social media platforms broadly have often suspended or banned crypto-related accounts, sometimes for seemingly no clear reason.
- Last month, CoinDesk's YouTube account was briefly suspended. While the account was restored within a day, CoinDesk still has no explanation for the suspension.
- CoinDesk attempted to contact Twitter to determine a reason for the suspensions but was not able to receive a response by press time.
UPDATE (09:43 UTC, March 10, 2021): Added new tweet from Willy Woo containing more recent details on the suspensions.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.