Winklevoss-Owned Gemini Sponsors 2021 Oxford-Cambridge Boat Race
The Winklevoss twins, who founded Gemini in 2014, rowed for Oxford at the Boat Race in 2010.
Gemini, the cryptocurrency exchange founded by Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss twins, will be sponsoring the 2021 Boat Race between Oxford and Cambridge Universities.
- The crypto exchange and custodian, has been named Principal Partner for the race taking place on the River Great Ouse at Ely on April 4.
- COVID-19 restrictions have forced the event to move away from the River Thames for the first time since 1944.
- The 192-year-old event is one of the world's most famous amateur sporting occasions, with 2021 marking its 166th men's race and 75th women's race.
- The Winklevoss twins, who founded Gemini in 2014, rowed for the U.S. team at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and appeared for Oxford at the Boat Race in 2010.
- The "Gemini Boat Race" will be among the most high-profile partnerships between a crypto company and U.K. sport.
- Crypto-friendly investment platform eToro has sponsored an array of Premier League soccer teams since 2018, while Watford F.C. brandished the bitcoin sign on their shirts in 2019-20 owing to their partnership with Sportsbet.io
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.