First Insured Bitcoin Fund Opens for Southeast Asian Markets
The fund, based in Labuan, Malaysia, aims to open access to digital assets for Southeast Asian institutional investors.
A regulated and insured bitcoin fund has been launched in Malaysia to serve the region's institutional investors.
- According to an announcement Monday, the BCMG Genesis Bitcoin Fund-I (BGBF-I) falls under the oversight of the Labuan Financial Services Authority in Malaysia and is said to be the first insured bitcoin fund in Southeast Asia.
- The fund will be administered by Alpha Calibration, while Hong Kong-based HLB Hodgson will be responsible for the auditing. Labuan-based IBH Investment Bank is to serve as the primary fund adviser.
- The BGBF-I fund will use an artificial intelligence-powered blockchain-based platform from insured crypto exchange CGCX.io to minimize transaction costs and store crypto assets.
- Investment subscription contracts will be held in custody at regulated banks for added security, per the announcement.
- The fund will invest in market makers, bitcoin liquidity providers and other cryptocurrency investment opportunities, per its website.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.