Canada's CI Global Files for What Would Be World's First Ether ETF
If approved, the ETF would trade on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the ticker “ETHX.”
The world’s first ether exchange-traded fund (ETF) may be on the way, after CI Global Asset Management filed a preliminary prospectus in Canada on Thursday.
- In an announcement, the firm said its proposed “CI Galaxy Ethereum ETF” would be the first ETF in the world to invest directly in ether, the native cryptocurrency of the Ethereum network.
- If approved, the ETF would trade on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) under the ticker “ETHX.”
- Galaxy Digital Capital Management LP will act as the ether sub-adviser and execute trading on behalf of the ETF.
- ETHX will invest directly in ether with its holdings priced using the Bloomberg Galaxy Ethereum Index, owned by Bloomberg Index Services.
- “Ethereum is the leading candidate to be the base layer of Web 3.0, and ether is a growth asset that provides investors exposure to the explosion of decentralized applications,” said Mike Novogratz, chairman and CEO of Galaxy Digital, in the announcement.
- CI Global also recently filed a preliminary prospectus for a bitcoin ETF, which would also be in in partnership with Galaxy Digital.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.