Ex-Ripple CTO Can't Remember Password to Access $240M in Bitcoin
Just call it Schrödinger's bitcoin.
The former chief technology officer of a prominent blockchain company has forgotten the password to a fortune in bitcoin.
- Almost a decade ago, Stefan Thomas, the former CTO at blockchain company Ripple Labs, was given 7,002 bitcoins worth $2-$6 each for making a cryptocurrency explainer video, reports the New York Times.
- The bitcoin had been stashed away in a digital wallet and Thomas has used eight of his most frequently used passwords in an attempt access his IronKey hard drive and his now multimillion-dollar fortune but has had no luck.
- Two attempts now remain before the device auto-encrypts its contents, leaving Thomas’ fortune in limbo. Just call it Schrödinger's bitcoin.
- “I would just lay in bed and think about it," Thomas told the New York Times. "Then I would go to the computer with some new strategy and it wouldn’t work, and I would be desperate again,” added Thomas.
- Bitcoin prices have climbed from $10,000 to $41,000 over the past three months. The price of bitcoin was at $34,290 at the time of publication, making Thomas' inaccessible stash worth an estimated $240 million.
- It seems Thomas will have to HODL on for a little while longer until he finds a way to access the bitcoin.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.