Traders Can Now Bet on 'Bitcoin $300K' as Options Keep Pace With Rising Price
It supersedes the $200,000 option on Deribit as the maximum one can wager.
Traders can now bet on whether bitcoin will hit $300,000 by year's end.
- Crypto derivatives exchange Deribit has added a $300,000 option to keep up with BTC's blistering price performance in recent weeks.
- The $200,000 option came into being late last week after bitcoin rose from $25,000 on Dec. 25 to $32,000 on Jan. 2.
- Six days later – with bitcoin currently north of $39,000 and having risen to as high as $41,962.36 earlier Friday – the maximum option followed suit.
- Even with the bullishness driving bitcoin's rally, there's only so high folks are willing to climb, as you can see from the following picture of open positions on Deribit's website.
- Other than one optimistic soul wagering that $200,000 this year could be a real thing, there's been no activity at any strike above $100,000.
- Generally, options indicate how some of the market's more sophisticated traders are gauging current price trends.
- Hope may spring eternal but apparently even hope has a ceiling.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.