Pre-public offering futures for leading U.S.-exchange Coinbase hit $311 Thursday on derivatives exchange FTX amid bitcoin's parabolic price rally and despite Coinbase's ongoing "connectivity issues."
- At their launch, Coinbase futures previously topped out just above $295.
- Notably, FTX's CBSE futures market is still quite small, reporting roughly $33,000 in 24-hour volume.
- Bitcoin ripped through $39,000 for the first time ever late Thursday morning, recording an over 30% gain already in 2021 following its more than 300% rally last year.
- FTX CEO Sam Bankman-Fried told CoinDesk in mid December his team was working to get legal clarity from non-U.S. regulators before launching the market.
- Coinbase futures soared 140% in their first hour of trading a few days later.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.