On-chain data shows big money continues to chase bitcoin amid the frantic bull run. That's a sign of institutions catching the "FOMO" bug, according to one analyst.
- Massive outflows from Coinbase Pro usually end in Coinbase's cold wallets for custody, which is directly integrated with the exchange's over-the-counter (OTC) desk. Institutions typically transact over-the-counter in a bid to avoid influencing the spot market price, as discussed in December.
- Bitcoin's rally from October lows near $10,000 has been mainly fueled by institutional demand. The ascent has gone ballistic over the past four weeks, with prices rising from $19,000 to over $30,000.
- While Ju's claim that institutions are now buying on fear of missing out can be challenged, there is evidence that persistent demand from big players is creating a supply squeeze, allowing for a continued price rally.
- For instance, at least 47,000 bitcoins have left Coinbase Pro in the first two days of the year, while miners have minted just over 1,700 bitcoin. Bitcoin rose from $29,800 to new record highs over $33,000 early today and was last seen changing hands near $31,600.
- The cryptocurrency is already up 10% this year, having scored a 300% gain last year, according to CoinDesk 20 data.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.