CME Tops in Bitcoin Futures Rankings Amid Rapidly Growing Institutional Interest
The Chicago Mercantile Exchange has become the largest bitcoin futures exchange by open interest amid institutional onboarding.
The Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME) has become the largest bitcoin futures exchange by number of open contracts as institutional interest in bitcoin continues to grow.
- As of Tuesday, open interest on the CME stood at $1.66 billion, the highest among the major derivatives exchanges that including OKEx, Binance and Bybit, according to data from crypto data analytic site Skew.
- CME now accounts for 18.1% of the total global open interest on Tuesday, currently sitting at approximately $9.18 billion.
- Skew's data also shows that CME logged the highest trading volume for its bitcoin futures contracts on Dec. 28.
- "Institutional investors were eager to trade bitcoin again yesterday after a few days off," Norwegian cryptocurrency analysis firm Arcane Research wrote in a tweet earlier Tuesday.
- CME's bitcoin futures products have seen rapid growth this year because of a surge in institutional capital inflows to the No. 1 cryptocurrency by market capitalization and its derivative markets.
- Bitcoin's price passed $28,000 on Sunday, and many have attributed the price rally to the new institutional money flowing to the cryptocurrency.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.