Salvation Army Now Accepts Bitcoin, Ether Donations in US
The Salvation Army Western Territory is now accepting crypto donations through Engiven’s platform.
- Announced Thursday, the charity has partnered with cryptocurrency giving platform Engiven for the new donation options.
- Over a century old, the Salvation Army is an international charity and church that is known for its network of thrift stores. Funds collected go towards its emergency relief efforts and ongoing programs such as shelters and hospitals.
- When making a donation, if a zip code is provided the cryptocurrency would then go toward financing the donor's local Salvation Army programs, according to the announcement.
- Salvation Army said it expects a busy period ahead and plans to serve up to 155% more people with holiday assistance this year, making fundraising activities important.
- The ongoing coronavirus pandemic and its economic effects will also mean more families and individuals are facing unemployment and financial hardships this holiday season.
- "There is no gold at the end of the rainbow, but with the rise in popularity and value of bitcoin it certainly could feel like it to some crypto investors,” said Lt. Colonel Kyle Smith, Salvation Army Western secretary of communication.
- “I believe the crypto community cares and could make a big difference in The Salvation Army's efforts to help those struggling in communities across our country," Smith added.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.