Coinbase UK Discloses 22% Profit Drop in 2019
The British arm of the U.S. cryptocurrency exchange saw a sharp downturn in business in 2019.
The British arm of the U.S. cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase saw a sharp downturn in business in 2019, with annual profits dropping by nearly a quarter year on year as a result.
- In a filing with the U.K.'s business registrar Companies House on Tuesday, Coinbase UK reported turnover of €94.8 million (US$114.9 million) in 2019, down 38% from €153 million ($185.6 million) in 2018.
- The turnover is derived from its cryptocurrency exchange service and debit card service, per the filing.
- Coinbase UK reported after-tax profits of €5.1 million ($6.2 million) in 2019, down by 22.5% from €6.6 million ($7.9 million) the year before. Numbers have been rounded off.
- According to the filing, Coinbase had no U.K. staff incurring costs in 2019 or the previous year, suggesting the local exchange operation is run entirely from its California headquarters.
- Despite the drop in turnover, the aggregate value of customer funds held in wallets was €1.493 billion ($1.81 billion) at the close of 2019, up significantly from €741 million ($898.5 million) on Dec. 31, 2018.
- The exchange said it will continue to monitor the U.K.’s departure from the European Union, the so-called Brexit, which will have an impact on the digital exchange's operational structure.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.