Binance to List Options Contracts for Litecoin
Binance said user demand prompted the new listing.
Cryptocurrency exchange Binance will offer options contracts for the world's seventh-largest cryptocurrency, litecoin.
- A Binance representative told CoinDesk via email the latest listing comes in response to "user demand," adding that options are an "important hedging tool, especially during a market rally."
- Options are a type of financial instrument enabling traders to buy or sell an underlying asset at a predetermined price either before or on a particular date.
- The expiry dates on Binance's contracts range from 10 minutes through to 24 hours, shorter than traditional options. They can be executed at any time before the expiry date.
- Litecoin is Binance's sixth options contract listing.
- The global average spot price for litecoin is just below $90 at press time, up 1.56% over 24 hours, according to the CoinDesk 20.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.