Cryptocurrency exchange Binance will offer options contracts for the world's seventh-largest cryptocurrency, litecoin.
- A Binance representative told CoinDesk via email the latest listing comes in response to "user demand," adding that options are an "important hedging tool, especially during a market rally."
- Options are a type of financial instrument enabling traders to buy or sell an underlying asset at a predetermined price either before or on a particular date.
- The expiry dates on Binance's contracts range from 10 minutes through to 24 hours, shorter than traditional options. They can be executed at any time before the expiry date.
- Litecoin is Binance's sixth options contract listing.
- The global average spot price for litecoin is just below $90 at press time, up 1.56% over 24 hours, according to the CoinDesk 20.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, institutional digital assets exchange. Bullish group is majority owned by Block.one; both groups have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary, and an editorial committee, chaired by a former editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal, is being formed to support journalistic integrity.