OKEx Token Rallies on Rumors Founder Xu Released From Custody
The token has rallied nearly 13% Wednesday.
OKB, the in-house token for leading crypto derivatives exchange OKEx, rallied more than 13% Wednesday on rumors that the firm's founder, Mingxing "Star" Xu, had been released from police custody.
- The exchange reported losing contact with Xu on Oct. 16 and was forced to suspend all trading account withdrawals, as CoinDesk reported at the time. Chinese media outlets reported Xu was in police custody but, speaking to CoinDesk, OKEx denied the investigation of Xu was related to money laundering.
- Reacting to these rumors, OKB surged more than 13% from its open of $4.80 at 0:00 UTC, changing hands around $5.48 at last check. The token has gained more than 17% this week.
- The gains retrace part of the steep losses suffered after the token tumbled 30% following the mid-October suspension of withdrawals.
- After more than a month of zero completed withdrawals, Xu's rumored release could mean a return to normal for the exchange. OKB's primary uses are for discounts on trading fees and collateral for margin trading at OKEx, so its utility (and to a large degree its value) depends on the exchange's viability.
- Repeated calls to OKEx attempting to confirm the rumor were not immediately returned.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.