Galaxy Digital, the crypto merchant bank headed by noted crypto evangelist Mike Novogratz, reported net income of $44.3 million in the third quarter of 2020, up from a loss of $68.2 million in the year-ago period.
- Galaxy Digital's total assets eclipsed $536 million, nearly $225 million of which was in cryptocurrencies.
- Volume at subsidiary Galaxy Digital Trading (GDT) was up 75% year over year to a record $1.4 billion.
- Galaxy attributed the soaring trading volume to momentum in bitcoin markets.
- GDT on Friday acquired crypto trading firms DrawBridge Lending and Blue Fire Capital for an undisclosed sum.
- GLXY was trading up 30 basis points around $5.37 CAD (US$4.08) on the Toronto Stock Exchange at press time.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.