Filecoin Network Upgrade Goes Live, Miners Claim 25% Block Rewards

The mandatory upgrade is the first post-launch upgrade to the Filecoin network.

Oct 23, 2020 at 1:43 a.m. UTC
Updated Sep 14, 2021 at 10:22 a.m. UTC

Filecoin's latest network upgrade, which allows miners to claim some block rewards without waiting on a vesting schedule, has just gone live.

  • Miners who migrated their software to Lotus 1.1.0 before the decentralized file storage network's block height reached 170,000 late on Thursday were able to grab their miner rewards, as reported by The Block.
  • The upgrade comes with the FIP-004 proposal – an implementation that increases a miner’s ability to reinvest the network's FIL token by making 25% of mining rewards available with no vesting.
  • Previously, block rewards were doled out over a 180-day period; now, FIP-004 miners are able to receive 25% right away with the other 75% to be vested over the next six months.
  • The upgrade also included a new network version, reducing the need to rerun flaky tests and adding additional logging to reduce syncing issues.
The Festival for the Decentralized World
Thursday - Sunday, June 9-12, 2022
Austin, Texas
Save a Seat Now

DISCLOSURE

Please note that our privacy policy, terms of use, cookies, and do not sell my personal information has been updated.

The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.

Trending

1
CoinDesk - Unknown
China Can’t Seem to Stop Bitcoin Mining

Reported hashrate fell to zero for two months in China last year, but it has since returned rather abruptly.

Reported hashrate fell to zero for two months in China last year, but it has since returned rather abruptly.

CoinDesk - Unknown
2
CoinDesk - Unknown
Could Local Digital Currencies Improve Communities?

That's the argument of the president of the RadicalxChange Foundation.

That's the argument of the president of the RadicalxChange Foundation.

CoinDesk - Unknown
3
CoinDesk - Unknown
After the Terra Meltdown: What's Next for Stablecoins?

The largest token collapse in crypto history. So let Luna die.

The largest token collapse in crypto history. So let Luna die.

CoinDesk - Unknown
4
CoinDesk - Unknown
5 Key Takeaways From a16z's State of Crypto Report

The venture firm is extremely bullish on Web 3.

The venture firm is extremely bullish on Web 3.

CoinDesk - Unknown