The Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) has released an advisory to futures commission merchants (FCM) providing clarity on how to look after users' digital currencies in segregated accounts.
- According to a Wednesday press release from the CFTC's Division of Swap Dealer and Intermediary Oversight, the advisory informs FCMs on how to hold and report certain digital assets held by customers in connection with physically delivered futures contracts or swaps.
- A segregated account means customer funds are strictly separated from a company's money.
- The CFTC noted that holding customer assets as segregated funds may let greater risks arise for the other customers under the same banner.
- The financial watchdog's advisory also provides guidance on best practices FCMs should follow when they design and maintain risk management programs when dealing with digital assets as customer funds.
- The advisory does not pertain to foreign FCMs' digital assets custody of customer's assets in relation to trading futures or options on futures.
- CFTC Division Director Joshua B. Sterling said in a statement the commission is "committed to fostering responsible fintech innovation" as it works toward creating a "holistic framework for digital asset derivatives."
See the CFTC's guidance in full below:
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.