Cathie Wood bet early on Bitcoin and Tesla, and her ARK Innovation Fund is up 75% in 2020.
Forbes called her “the newest superstar investor,” and it’s not hard to see why.
Cathie Wood is radically disrupting the way money is allocated. Fighting the rise of passive – what she calls the “greatest misallocation of resources in history” – Wood’s funds are actively managed exchange-traded funds that give investors exposure to public companies in key areas of innovation.
In this conversation, NLW and Wood discuss:
- Why she had conviction in Tesla before the market caught up
- Why her fund offered the first bitcoin investment opportunities to Wall Street
- Why it doesn’t hire traditional Wall Street analysts
- Why it gives away all research for free
- Why it shares the trades made in a completely open-source way
- ARK’s recent Bitcoin Investment Thesis white paper
- What the prospects are for innovation in 2021
CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that covers the cryptocurrency industry. Its journalists abide by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by the Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, digital assets exchange. The Bullish group is majority-owned by Block.one; both companies have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary with an editorial committee to protect journalistic independence. CoinDesk offers all employees above a certain salary threshold, including journalists, stock options in the Bullish group as part of their compensation.