Crypto legal experts join NLW to discuss the U.S. government’s case against BitMEX and its implications for the broader ecosystem.
Today on the Brief:
- Market reaction to Pres.Trump contracting COVID-19
- Subpar September jobs report
- Decentralized exchanges have third straight 100%+ growth month
Our main discussion explores the ramifications of the recent BitMEX charges.
Yesterday, BitMEX was targeted with both civil and criminal complaints, with the CTO being arrested for violation of the Bank Secrecy Act.
In this conversation, NLW talks to crypto legal experts Stephen Palley and Preston Byrne to discuss:
- The specifics of the charges
- How long this investigation has been in the works
- Whether there was anything surprising to legal experts
- Why the criminal complaints represent an escalation of enforcement
- Whether there are implications for other industry areas, particularly decentralized finance
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.