Bitcoin, Stocks Fall as Trump Tests Positive for COVID-19
The cryptocurrency and Asian stock markets dumped early Friday after U.S. Pres. Donald Trump announced he and his wife had tested positive to COVID-19.
The cryptocurrency and Asian stock markets sold off early Friday after U.S. Pres. Donald Trump announced he and his wife had tested positive to COVID-19.
- In a tweet on Friday, Trump said he and First Lady Melania Trump had tested positive for COVID-19 and would begin their quarantine process "immediately."
- "We will get through this TOGETHER!," Trump tweeted.
- The Australia ASX All Ordinaries is down 1.35%.
- In the U.S. markets, S&P 500 futures fell about 2%.
- Gold is up 0.32% on the day to stand at $1,908 after falling to a low of $1,888 in early Asian trading hours.
- Bitcoin is also down by 1.9%, having fallen from $10,678 to around $10,400, at press time.
- The price action comes several hours after a 3.7% fall on news that U.S. officials indicted BitMEX owner Arthur Hayes and other company executives on charges the crypto trading platform violated know-your-customer and derivatives trading laws.
- Trump will quarantine as he enters the final month of his reelection bid. His major-party opponent, Democratic nominee and former Vice President Joe Biden, has been touring the midwestern states following a debate with Trump on Tuesday.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.