Atari Plans November Premiere for Video Game Cryptocurrency
Atari's self-styled entertainment payments token has been in the works since early 2018.
The Atari Group, the company behind such classic video games as Pac-Man and Pong, will begin publicly selling its Atari Token (ATRI) cryptocurrency in early November.
- ATRI is a self-styled entertainment industry payment method in the form of an ERC-20 token atop the Ethereum blockchain. It's been in the works since at least early 2018.
- Crypto casinos, "blockchain games" and the video game distribution platform Ultra.io will be among the utility token's earliest use cases, said Atari's blockchain subsidiary, Atari Chain.
- The game maker said it will reap 35% of ATRI sales revenue. Issuance partner ICICB Group, a fintech whose only public client is Atari, stands to take the rest.
- The token will list on Bitcoin.com and Atari's own crypto exchange at the close of the public sale.
- Investors and game players have bought $1.5 million in ATRI tokens through two private pre-sales that priced the token at $0.08 cents, Atari said. A third pre-sale is ongoing.
- Cointelegraph reports U.S citizens will not be able to take part in the sale.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.