Uniswap's Newly Launched UNI Token Has Already Doubled in Price
Uniswap's new UNI token has surged from just under $2.80 to over $5.50 in the past 24 hours.
Uniswap's UNI token may be only two days old, but its price has already risen by around 100%.
- Data from CoinGecko shows the UNI token price has surged from just under $2.80 to a high of $5.80 in the past 24 hours.
- The so-called governance token's market cap is now over $430 million, which makes it the 39th largest cryptocurrency in the space on CoinGecko's rankings.
- The token started Thursday morning with a total value of approximately $50 million, meaning it's seen a near nine-fold increase in the past 36 hours or so.
- UNI is trading around $5.48 at press time.
- Uniswap only unveiled its new token, which will be used to power on-chain governance, late on Wednesday but it has quickly gained traction.
- Coinbase – an exchange that's usually picky about the assets it lists – added UNI to its Pro trading platform just hours after the launch.
- The project plans to issue all one billion UNI tokens to the community, founder and the team over the next four years.
- Further, the project gave away a minimum of 400 UNI to anyone who had used Uniswap prior to September – an amount now worth over $2,000.
- Should UNI continue at its present trajectory it could soon take over from decentralized lender Compound's COMP token – currently with a $540 million cap – which itself experienced a major price hike back in late June.
- Uniswap is already the number one DeFi project by crypto locked in, according to DeFi Pulse.
- Its $1.47 billion locked is nearly triple that of rival decentralized trading protocol, SushiSwap
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.