The CEO of publicly traded MicroStrategy (MSTR) shares why he started to feel like he was “sitting on a 500-lb block of ice” and how he came to bitcoin as a solution.
MicroStrategy made waves when it announced in early August it was moving $500,000,000 in treasury reserves out of cash. At least $250 million were to be moved into bitcoin.
Earlier this week, the company announced its final bitcoin purchases totaled $425 million.
In this conversation with NLW, MicroStrategy CEO Michael Saylor explains:
- Why he’s always treated the company with a long time horizon
- Why the asset inflation rate is the real inflation rate
- How he became convinced that bitcoin is the best treasury asset in the world
- Why Michael believes some other companies will follow suit, but better do so quick
- Why the intensity of maximalists is actually part of the reason he grew conviction around the asset
- Why he would buy every bitcoin if he could
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.