A legacy of artificially low interest rates is not just the death of savings, but a forced buying into the perpetual growth machine of financial asset prices.
Today on the Brief:
- Jobless claims slightly exceed expectations at 884,000
- ECB keeps policy unchained; euro rises versus dollar
- Survey: What’s the right way to understand the business and market cycle in the U.S. today?
Our main discussion: interest rates and the undermining of American resilience.
In this discussion, NLW looks at a number of artifacts of the low interest rate world, including:
- Increasing cost of child care
- Declining share of total net worth held by bottom 50%
- New startups using lottery tactics to incentivize savers
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.