Fidelity Investments' chief strategist is heading a new bitcoin index fund that appears to be Wall Street's latest play for high-dollar institutional crypto bets.
- "Wise Origin Bitcoin Index Fund I, LP" has a $100,000 minimum buy-in and a high-ranking executive officer to boot: Peter Jubber, head of strategy and planning for the increasingly crypto-friendly investments giant Fidelity.
- Wise Origin links back to Fidelity Investments via Jubber and Fidelity's brokerage service and distribution subsidiaries, both of which are set to receive sales compensation from the new fund. It also shares a Boston office building with Fidelity.
- Fidelity declined to comment on its ties to the fund. A Delaware corporation called FD Funds GP is Wise Origin's general partner, and Jubber is FD Funds' president.
- While it is not known how the fund will approach bitcoin investing, Jubber waxed bullish on blockchain in a 2017 podcast sponsored by Fidelity. At the time he said his firm had sketched out 10 years of potentialities for the institution-disrupting tech.
- "Every incumbent should be spending time and money on this topic to understand it, at least to understand the threat," he said in the podcast. "But I think there's just a massive opportunity."
- The fund has yet to raise any capital from investors.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, institutional digital assets exchange. Bullish group is majority owned by Block.one; both groups have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary, and an editorial committee, chaired by a former editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal, is being formed to support journalistic integrity.