An economic historian and one of Foreign Policy’s “Top Global Thinkers of the Decade” discusses post-COVID-19 global economics and politics.
Our guest today is Adam Tooze. Adam holds the Shelby Cullom Davis Chair of History at Columbia University and serves as director of its European Institute. He is known for his books “The Deluge: The Great War, America and the Remaking of the Global Order” and “Crashed: How a Decade of Financial Crises Changed the World.”
In this conversation, Adam Tooze and NLW discuss:
- Historical analogies for our present moment
- Federal Reserve policy and independence
- How much we should fear debt and inflation post-coronavirus
- How the economic and political crisis of 2020 has changed or reinforced the trajectory of the U.S., China and Europe
- Why there is no such thing as the post-American era
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, institutional digital assets exchange. Bullish group is majority owned by Block.one; both groups have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary, and an editorial committee, chaired by a former editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal, is being formed to support journalistic integrity.