Bitcoin Risks Deeper Drop if Dollar Rebounds
The bitcoin price could pull back even further should the dollar stage a full-blown recovery on the back of the latest Fed meeting.
Bitcoin’s price pullback may worsen as the U.S. dollar shows signs of life on the back of the newly released minutes from July's Federal Reserve meeting.
- The dollar index, which tracks the greenback's value against that of other reserve currencies, has jumped 1% to 93.000 in the past 24 hours – the biggest single-day rise in two months.
- The U.S. dollar (USD) has picked up on the news the Federal Reserve is not planning on implementing controversial yield curve controls on bonds – something markets had been anticipating.
- The correlation between bitcoin and the USD has been historically weak but has picked up in the past month as investors look for alternative safe-haven assets.
- CoinDesk data shows bitcoin rising from $9,000 to $12,400 in the four weeks up to Aug. 17 just as the dollar index declined from 97 to 92.
- But in the past week and in the face of a strengthening dollar, bitcoin has fallen to around 11,780 – down 5% from the recent high of $12,400 it reached earlier this week.
- Continued recovery in the U.S. dollar could yield further losses for bitcoin but a sustained dollar rebound still looks unlikely – interest rates will remain at rock bottom to stimulate the economy, increasing the chances that the Fed might be forced to more radical monetary measures.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.