New Jersey Man Accused of Paying $20K in Bitcoin to Have Sex Crimes Victim Killed
A New Jersey sex offender is now accused of paying a hitman in bitcoin to murder his 14-year-old victim.
A New Jersey resident who pleaded guilty in 2017 to child sex crime charges is now accused of paying a hitman $20,000 in bitcoin to murder his then-14-year-old victim.
- John Michael Musbach faces federal murder-for-hire charges and interstate commerce violations in U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey, according to an Aug. 10 criminal complaint unsealed Thursday.
- Musbach, 31, allegedly attempted to pay a dark web hitman 40 BTC (worth $20,000 at the time) to kill a 14-year-old in May 2016.
- Just two months before, Musbach admitted to New Jersey law enforcement he and the victim had exchanged sexually explicit material online in September 2015. He would later plead guilty to state-level sex crime violations.
- The arranged May 2016 hit never went through. According to chat logs submitted in the complaint, the murder-for-hire service duped the user alleged to be Musbach into paying more bitcoin before ultimately claiming the site was a "scam" to expose criminals.
- Agents said they linked Musbach to the attempted hit by tracing the bitcoin to his Coinbase account and by cross-listing his dark market screen name with other internet accounts.
- Musbach faces a maximum 10-year sentence and $250,000 fine if convicted, according to a press release.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.