Tom Emmer, a U.S. congressman from Minnesota and chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC), announced Thursday that next week he will lead the first cryptocurrency town hall to celebrate innovators leading the development of virtual currencies.
- According to an announcement made on Emmer’s campaign website, the town hall is intended to encourage “politically engaged voters” to take part in the growing digital asset transformation as the election nears.
- The event will feature leaders of the blockchain industry including Circle CEO Jeremy Allaire, Ripple CEO Brad Garlinghouse, eToro Managing Director Guy Hirsch, BitPay CEO Stephan Pair and Bloq co-founder and Chairman Matthew Roszak.
- The announcement said the panel will discuss “ways to keep the United States on the cutting edge of innovation.”
- Emmer is a member of the House Financial Services Committee, a ranking member of the Financial Technology Task Force, and co-chair of the Congressional Blockchain Caucus.
- The town hall event is organized in partnership with the Chamber of Digital Commerce (CDC) PAC.
- The town hall will be held virtually on Aug. 20 at 12:30 p.m. ET and is open to the public.
- You can register for the event here.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, institutional digital assets exchange. Bullish group is majority owned by Block.one; both groups have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary, and an editorial committee, chaired by a former editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal, is being formed to support journalistic integrity.