Bitcoiners Launch Cryptocurrency Relief Fund Following Beirut Explosion
A group of Lebanese expats in Europe organized the Crypto Disaster Relief For Beirut Explosion fund to support those affected by last week's tragedy.
Bitcoiners have quickly mobilized to raise relief funds following an explosion that wreaked havoc in Beirut last week. The campaign comes as the Lebanese banking system remains in crisis.
- A group of Lebanese expats in Europe organized the Crypto Disaster Relief For Beirut Explosionhttps://www.cryptofundlebanon.com/ fund, spreading the word on Instagram.
- The site’s tagline: "Embracing Cryptocurrency services to bypass Lebanon’s corrupted financial system."
- This requires manual liquidity, with the help of over-the-counter traders on the ground, to fund local nonprofits like Beit el Baraka and Baytna Baytak, which are both helping people displaced by the blast to find food and shelter.
- Palestinian professor and author Saifedean Ammous, who lived in Lebanon for many years, is also fundraising for Beit el Baraka, plus the Lebanese Red Cross. He has raised several thousand dollars worth of bitcoin so far.
- The nonprofit Kilna Ya3ne Kilna (which means “All for All”) is also crowdfunding with bitcoin for relief efforts, delivering food and hygiene kits to families in need.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.