Riot Blockchain Ends Week Up 29%, Hits 2020 High Ahead of Q2 Earnings Report
The company has gained 70% so far in Q3.
Riot Blockchain, one of the few publicly traded bitcoin mining companies in the U.S., closed trading Friday with its second largest weekly gain since April 2019 ahead of the firm's Q2 earnings release next week. The gain marks a continuation of the stock's rally that started mid March after the market's crash.
- Riot Blockchain gained 29% closing since Monday, closing the week at $3.75.
- The company set a 2020 high of $4.58 Thursday afternoon.
- Q2 earnings are scheduled to be released early next week, the company told CoinDesk.
- "We're strong believers in the macroeconomic fundamentals underlying bitcoin," said Jeff McGonegal, CEO of Riot Blockchain. Riot’s rally is connected to the increasing investor attention paid to bitcoin (BTC) and cryptocurrencies generally, he added.
- Riot has gained 70% this quarter following BTC, which has rallied 24% over the same period, according to Messari, trading near $11,500 at last check.
- Riot has a current mining capacity of 357 petahash per second with an anticipated increase to 566 petahash by Q4.
- Even with recent gains, however, the shares are a far cry from their all-time intraday high of $3638.40, reached in October 2007.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.