Bittrex and Poloniex Move for Summary Judgment in Market Manipulation Case
Bittrex and Poloniex were added to the class-action lawsuit as defendants in June.
Attorneys representing cryptocurrency exchanges Bittrex and Poloniex notified Judge Katherine Polk Failla of the Southern District of New York Friday of their intention to move for summary judgment in a class-action case that alleges they, along with Tether and Bitfinex, were involved in fraud and market manipulation, according to court filings.
- The motion seeks summary judgment, saying the plaintiffs cannot "prove the central premise of their claims" that cryptocurrency addresses at issue in the suit belong to Bitfinex nor that Bitfinex was using the funds to manipulate the market.
- "In fact, both addresses belong to an individual with no apparent connection to Bitfinex," the letter explains.
- Bittrex and Poloniex were added to the lawsuit as defendants in June 2020.
- The suit has been ongoing since October 2019.
- In a memo regarding the motion, Bitfinex wrote, "Plaintiffs and their attorneys will doubtless go back to the drawing board to dream up new theories ultimately designed to give them reasons to claim monies to which they have zero entitlement."
Update (August 8, 02:32 UTC): This article has been updated with a comment from Bitfinex.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.