An early Facebook product designer-turned angel investor discusses how social media has changed and whether it can be changed again for the better.
Today on the Brief:
- President Trump wants a cut of the TikTok deal
- Previewing this week’s COVID-19 vaccine trade
- Dave Portnoy breaks into bitcoin
After Social Media with Bobby Goodlatte.
Bobby is the founder of Form Capital, a new seed investment firm that focuses on supporting portfolio companies with value-add design.
Bobby was an early employee at Facebook and has been an active angel investor since 2012, with investments that include Coinbase.
In this conversation, he and NLW discuss:
- The early days of Facebook
- Why angel investors don’t like new angel investors to get involved
- How Silicon Valley reflects larger questions of equity valuations
- How social media has changed over the last decade
- Why politics is now “downstream from algorithms”
- Why there are still possibilities to build new social networks
- Why today’s social networks could make different decisions that would be better for the world.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.