Bitcoin Miners Saw 7% Revenue Increase in July
Bitcoin miners earned $300 in revenue during July.
Bitcoin miners enjoyed a 7% increase in revenue during July, driven by higher network fees and increased transaction volume as bitcoin (BTC) rallied to new yearly highs above $11,400.
- BTC miners generated an estimated $300 million in revenue in July, up from $281 million in June, and the first monthly increase in miner revenue since April, according to Coin Metrics data analyzed by CoinDesk.
- Revenue estimates assume miners sell their BTC immediately.
- Fees generated $25 million in July, eclipsing the previous 12-month high of 8.3% fee revenue in May.
- Increased network fees and mempool size contributed to mining revenue increases. Bitcoin’s mempool, a sort of holding depot for verified transactions that need to be included in new blocks by miners, grew 11,000% since July 1.
- Correspondingly, average daily fees increased 300% from the end of June, according to Coin Metrics data.
- July’s revenue increase coincided with rallies of publicly traded mining companies.
- Riot Blockchain gained 10% in July, closing the month at $2.62.
- Even troubled Beijing-based miner manufacturer Canaan Inc. managed to gain 34% in the month, closing at $2.50.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.