Ripple Paid MoneyGram $15.1M in 'Market Development Fees' in Q2
With the $15.1 million in Q2, MoneyGram has so far received $43 million for providing liquidity for Ripple’s XRP-based settlement system.
MoneyGram received over $15 million from Ripple in Q2 for providing liquidity for Ripple's XRP-based cross-border settlement network.
- In its second-quarter results Thursday, the Texas-based remittances company said it received $15.1 million from Ripple in what it called "market development fees."
- Offsetting transaction expenses, MoneyGram said it made $8.8 million net benefit.
- In its 2019 annual report, MoneyGram defined market development fees as the compensation for providing liquidity to Ripple's On-Demand Liquidity (ODL) network – the settlements layer using the XRP token to send money across borders.
- MoneyGram received $16.6 million in Q1 2020, taking total compensation to $31.7 million in H1 2020. It also received a total of $11.3 million in H2 2019.
- Ripple has so far paid MoneyGram $43 million to provide liquidity for its ODL network.
- MoneyGram started using ODL for some of its global remittance operations in June last year.
- Ripple completed the purchase of a $50 million equity stake in MoneyGram in November.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.