A veteran bond strategist gives his take on why the bond market has a better read than equities on short-term and long-term macro trends.
Today on the Brief:
- More bad news from jobless claims and the GDP
- The big tech hearing was a whole bunch of nothing; watch TikTok instead
- Robinhood dives into Kodak (but so do illegal insider traders)
Our main conversation is with independent bond strategist George Goncalves.
- How the bond market watches Federal Reserve meetings
- What, if anything, was new about this week’s FOMC meeting
- What it means that the bond market and equities market tell different stories
- Why the bond market has been telling a long-term story of slowing growth
- Whether institutional investors are actually moving away from government debt and into gold
- Why Judy Shelton should have a place on the Federal Reserve
Find our guest online:
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.