A veteran bond strategist gives his take on why the bond market has a better read than equities on short-term and long-term macro trends.
Today on the Brief:
- More bad news from jobless claims and the GDP
- The big tech hearing was a whole bunch of nothing; watch TikTok instead
- Robinhood dives into Kodak (but so do illegal insider traders)
Our main conversation is with independent bond strategist George Goncalves.
- How the bond market watches Federal Reserve meetings
- What, if anything, was new about this week’s FOMC meeting
- What it means that the bond market and equities market tell different stories
- Why the bond market has been telling a long-term story of slowing growth
- Whether institutional investors are actually moving away from government debt and into gold
- Why Judy Shelton should have a place on the Federal Reserve
Find our guest online:
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, institutional digital assets exchange. Bullish group is majority owned by Block.one; both groups have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary, and an editorial committee, chaired by a former editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal, is being formed to support journalistic integrity.