The Bank of England's upcoming settlement service is being designed to support a possible central bank digital currency (CBDC).
- CoinDesk has learned the BoE will ensure its redesigned real-time gross settlement service (RTGS), the payments network used by U.K. financial institutions, can be forwards compatible with CBDCs, such as a digital pound.
- The new settlements system is being designed that the bank could "bolt on" a facility for digital currency transactions, should it decide to support a CBDC.
- Modules for other future capabilities, as well as the digital pound, are also being considered for the upcoming settlement system.
- RTGS is a key component in the U.K.'s financial infrastructure – it's where institutions hold their sterling accounts and acts as the main channel for the BoE to inject liquidity into the economy.
- On average, RTGS settles more than £685 billion ($900 billion) worth of transactions each working day.
- The BoE announced Thursday it had chosen Irish tech consultancy firm Accenture for a £150 million ($195 million) contract to redesign the payments network.
- In a statement, Accenture said the new RTGS system would adapt to the changing financial system by providing access to more firms, as well as greater interoperability and functionality.
- The new RTGS system is expected to go live in 2022.
- Earlier this month, BoE Governor Andrew Bailey said the 400-year-old central bank was seriously considering whether to launch a CBDC.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.