- Coinbase said Wednesday that users holding more than 1 dai will see returns at 2% annual percentage yield (APY).
- The program applies to customers residing in the U.S., U.K., The Netherlands, Spain, France and Australia.
- Rewards are to be distributed within the first five business days of receiving dai in a Coinbase account and will be handed out daily after the first payout.
- The exchange already rewards users for interacting with educational content with dai as part of the Coinbase Earn project.
- Dai-issuer MakerDAO is the biggest platform in decentralized finance (DeFi). Earlier this week, the total value of cryptocurrency locked into the platform crossed $1 billion – a first for any DeFi project.
- Maker itself offers interest on holdings of dai, however Coinbase said the rewards scheme is a promotion funded by itself.
Correction (July 29, 21:05 UTC): Coinbase is not planning to offer rewards on cardano (ADA) accounts, as was misreported in an earlier version of this story. There are plans for Coinbase Custody to support the staking of ADA tokens later this year.
Edit (07:52 UTC, July 30): Updated with further information from Coinbase regarding the funding behind the rewards scheme.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.