Daily volumes for bitcoin options hit a new all-time high on Deribit, the exchange that shows no signs of giving up its market leader position.
- The Panama-based derivatives exchange tweeted Tuesday morning that over 47,500 contracts for bitcoin options traded in a single day on Monday.
- Deribit said the total value of these contracts came to $539 million.
- This is well over double the exchange's previous all-time high of $196 million reached on May 10 – the day of the bitcoin halving.
- Deribit remains the single-largest player in the crypto options space, a market it pretty much founded in 2016.
- Data from Skew shows Deribit currently makes up around 88% of total bitcoin options volumes.
- Bitmain spin-off Matrixport, which launched a derivatives exchange Monday, said it wanted to take market share from Deribit.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.