More than 50% of COVID-19 related business closures in the U.S. are now permanent. Can tech platforms provide a new avenue for small biz entrepreneurship?
Today on the Brief:
- Disappointing jobless claim numbers with first increase in 4 months
- U.S. banks now allows to custody crypto
- Senate hears arguments for a digital dollar in the context of U.S.-China economic competition
Our main conversation with Sahil Bloom
Sahil Bloom is an investor with Altamont Capital Partners and a prolific author of financial literacy Twitter threads.
In this conversation, he and NLW discuss:
- Today’s jobless claims
- Long-term economic impacts from COVID in the travel industry
- “Forced efficiency realization”
- How remote work opens white collar professionals to global competition
- Whether tech platforms are a destructive or enabling force for small business
- Why financial education is essential and sorely lacking
- Why the Robinhood rally crowd represents a positive opportunity for bringing new voices into the markets
Find our guest on Twitter: @sahilbloom
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.