South Korean Government Proposes Tough New 22% Tax on Crypto Trading
Crypto trading profits could be liable to a 22% tax should the Korean National Assembly approve the newly tabled proposal.
The South Korean government has proposed obliging crypto investors to pay more than a fifth of their profits to the state.
- The Ministry of Economy and Finance tabled a proposal Wednesday to introduce a 22% tax – including the 2% local income tax – on crypto trading profits above 2.5 million KRW (~$2,000).
- If approved by Korea's National Assembly, the tax rule will come into force in October 2021.
- The new tax rule will also apply to non-residents and foreign companies who trade on Korean exchanges.
- The news was originally reported by CoinDesk Korea.
- Traders will be obliged to keep accurate records of their crypto activity and file with the National Tax Service at the end of the tax year on May 31.
- Profits will be based on the difference in the asset's won price at the time of acquisition and time of sale – if the trader doesn't know the acquisition price, it will be assumed to be 0 won.
- The government says the new tax rule is needed as many other countries have also introduced their own regimes for cryptocurrencies.
- Cryptocurrency trading profits in the U.S. count as capital gains, where individuals can pay up to 25% in tax.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.