OKCoin Joins Coinbase in Supplying Oracle Feed for DeFi Project Compound
OKCoin says its regulated status and liquidity mean users will be able to trust that its data feed will be accurate and reliable.
OKCoin has launched a new API feed for the decentralized finance (DeFi) space that has already been picked up by lender Compound.
- The San Francisco-based exchange said Wednesday that OKCoin Oracle would provide on-chain data for DeFi products and features.
- As a liquid and regulated trading platform, OKCoin said its cryptographically signed price feed would be accurate, adding it would also verify and guarantee the data's reliability.
- San Francisco-based exchange Coinbase unveiled its own price feed plugin for the DeFi space in April.
- Like Coinbase's, OKCoin's feed has been incorporated into the oracle system launched last August by Compound.
- Known as the Open Price Feed System, Compound's oracle relies on data providers to effectively share data on-chain.
- Rival oracle system ChainLink works broadly along the same lines, although it rewards third-party entities with LINK tokens for providing accurate data, and takes them away again when they don't.
- OKCoin was founded by Star Xu in 2013; the crypto exchange OKEx spun out of it in 2017.
UPDATE (July 17, 09:25 UTC): This article has been updated to better describe the relationship between OKCoin and OKEx.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.