The Bahamas’ central bank said it is “progressing” toward the full launch of a mobile phone-based digital currency (CBDC) it’s betting can withstand the battering of a Category 5 hurricane.
- Last September, the Bahamas struggled to rebound from Hurricane Dorian’s $3.4 billion devastation, in part because the storm, the largest in Bahamian history, had decimated the islands’ physical banking and payments systems.
- Some Bahamian banks and ATMs remained offline for months, the central bank said in its Sunday report. “Mobile phone coverage, by contrast, was generally restored within a few days after Dorian,” it said.
- The central bank believes it can fast-track future recoveries by building CBDC functionality into mobile phones. It projected this could help ease critical post-disaster recovery tools such as receiving insurance claims.
- “The Dorian aftermath demonstrated one major benefit: rapid payments system restoration after a disaster,” the central bank said.
- It also noted a mobile phone CBDC can eliminate some pandemic-era pain points, such as queueing at a bank and physically exchanging currency.
- The central bank’s CBDC effort, known as Project Sand Dollar, is currently in the testing phase on the island of Abaco.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.