Gate.io, Huobi Enter Booming Crypto Options Scene
The two exchanges are moving into the crypto options scene, which continues to grow as volumes on spot and futures markets spiral.
As the crypto options market explodes, crypto exchange Gate.io opens its new options trading feature and rival Huobi preps for a launch later this year.
- Chicago's Gate.io said Tuesday its first bitcoin options contract had been released, with short-term expiries of up to 24 hours.
- This comes as crypto options volumes went from $200 million in August 2019 to over $3 billion in May 2020, according to data site CryptoCompare. Following the bitcoin halving, options volumes settled at $2.5 million last month.
- In contrast, trading volumes in the crypto spot and futures markets have fallen by over a third as volatility has spiraled to a yearly low.
- Singapore-based exchange Huobi, which already offers futures and perpetual swaps, also said Tuesday it plans to launch bitcoin options contracts sometimes in the third quarter and contracts for other cryptocurrencies could soon follow.
- The contracts are currently in alpha testing, the exchange said in a statement.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.